Allergies are a sign of a malfunctioning immune system.
Mast cells are the “master” regulators of the immune system. They contain sacs, which house biologically active substances called mediators. When these mediators get released, inflammatory havoc ensues---
External allergens cause the body to release inflammatory chemicals such as histamine causing the following symptoms: Itchy watery swollen eyes, sneezing, runny nose, congestion, hives and rashes.
Treating Allergies with Chinese Medicine
“Wind invasion” or weakened “defensive qi” (immunity) are the diagnosis most often used to describe and treat allergic rhinitis.
The season in which your allergies act up also offers clues to which organ is the culprit.
Mostly in the spring? Your allergies are related to the Chinese “Liver,” the organ that “rules” during this season.
Mostly in the fall? Your allergies are related to the Chinese “Lung”.
- Boosting the immune system with herbs like Astragalus, and Reishi mushrooms.
- Cordyceps mushrooms suppress something called TSLP, which turns out to be a major contributor to mast cell development and activation.
- Herbal teas that contain dried chrysanthemum flowers and cassia seeds can help lower histamine production.
- Quercetin, a flavonoid compound, may also reduces histamine production. It's allergy-mediating properties go beyond the scope of treating the hay fever that affects sensitive groups during allergy season.
- Studies have shown that Probiotics modulates immune responses in allergic rhinitis and may have a potential to alleviate the severity of symptoms.
- Adrenal support improves cortisol levels helping combat Adrenal fatigue, often implicated in inflammatory disorders, including allergies.
- Saline irrigation can help clear mucus and reduce inflammation when used regularly during allergy outbreaks.
- Alcolol is a proprietary blend of natural extracts and essential oils combined with salts that has been used for over 100 years. Used in any nasal irrigation delivery system, Alcolol helps dissolves mucus, reduces nasal congestion and sinus swelling, all symptoms of Allergic rhinitis.
Based on differing health patterns, the right combination of herbs and acupuncture can be very effective in the treatment of allergies.
If you suffer from seasonal allergies, begin treatment at least six weeks before the season begins.